P&C Other Operations
Third quarter 2013 underwriting loss was $10 million compared with $9 million in third quarter 2012. Third quarter 2013 results included unfavorable PYD of $2 million, before tax, while third quarter 2012 had unfavorable PYD of $1 million, before tax.
GROUP BENEFITSThird Quarter 2013 Highlights:
- Core earnings of $36 million, up 57% from $23 million in third quarter 2012, due to improved group long-term disability results
- After-tax core earnings margin of 3.9% improved significantly compared with 2.2% in third quarter 2012
- Loss ratio improved 2.6 points from third quarter 2012 to 76.7% driven by improving long-term disability pricing and loss trends
|($ in millions)||Three Months Ended|
|Sept. 30 2013||Sept. 30 2012||Change|
|Fully insured premiums¹||$817||$926||(12%)|
 Fully insured ongoing premiums excludes buyout premiums and premium equivalents
Group Benefits third quarter 2013 net income rose 3% to $31 million compared with $30 million in third quarter 2012. Although core earnings improved significantly, the increase was offset by an unfavorable change in after-tax net realized capital gains (losses) of $12 million. Core earnings, which exclude realized capital gains and losses, were $36 million in third quarter 2013, a 57% increase compared with $23 million in third quarter 2012, due to improved group long-term disability results.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts