Montpelier Re Holdings Ltd. (NYSE: MRH), (“Montpelier“ or the “Company“), a leading provider of short-tail reinsurance and other specialty lines, today reported its financial results for the quarter ended September 30, 2013.
Fully converted book value per common share was $28.06, an increase of 4.2% from June 30, 2013 and 8.7% from December 31, 2012, after taking into account common share dividends declared during the period.
Operating income for the quarter was $72 million, or $1.38 per common share, representing a quarterly return on common equity of 5.0%. Net income was $53 million, or $1.02 per common share. The net impact of realized and unrealized losses from investments and foreign exchange, which is included in net income, was $19 million for the quarter.
Net premiums written and earned in the quarter were consistent with those of a year ago. The loss ratio for the quarter was 18%, which includes $36 million of favorable prior year loss reserve movements. The combined ratio was 54% for the quarter.Net investment income was $17 million and the total return on the investment portfolio was 0.6% for the quarter. Christopher Harris, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “Our focused business strategy and solid underwriting execution contributed to a strong third quarter. Montpelier Re Bermuda, Montpelier at Lloyd’s, and Blue Capital combined to deliver strong profitability with a 5.0% quarterly operating ROE and a 54% quarterly combined ratio. We also continued to strengthen the quality of risk analytic services we can bring to clients with the successful launch of the Montpelier Risk Institute.” During the third quarter of 2013, the Company repurchased a total of 1,235,193 shares at an average price of $25.53 per share. During the fourth quarter of 2013, the Company has thus far repurchased an additional 330,176 shares, at an average price per share of $26.66.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV