The jury is still out on Yasiel Puig. He remains a tremendous raw talent, but the better pitchers have found a lot of holes in Puig's swing.
Puig also has a tendency to stand around and mope in right field after getting called out on a third strike. I don't recall the great Willie Mays or Tony Gwynn displaying that kind of behavior.
One full year in the big leagues is the bare minimum that I require before I can really pass judgment on a new, hot rookie. I think that 3 to 5 years is even better. After 5 to 10 years, we have a really good bead on what kind of ballplayer he is.
When Facebook (FB) was getting ready to go public, I wrote an article recommending that investors give it a year before considering it for their portfolios. I think that was pretty good advice. Facebook came public at $38 a share and ran up to $45 during its major-league debut.From there it slumped down to the $18-per-share area, and one year after its IPO it was trading around $25. Facebook made my all-star team when it finally broke out of its resistance area and its performance numbers compared most favorably against every other investment that I have to choose from. I would give the same advice about the Twitter (TWTR) IPO. I think that Twitter is a great product, but I am not sure about the monetization of it. I would advise investors once again to let the management at Twitter demonstrate their proficiency at running a publicly traded company, and wait to see if it responds to difficulty by moping or recovers quickly from a slump. I never say never, but I doubt that I will be owning shares of Twitter any time soon. Follow @billgunderson This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV