NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The broader market closed at another record high as the Federal Reserve began its two-day Federal Open Market Committee meeting.
On CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show, Josh Brown, a financial adviser at Ritholtz Wealth Management, said the Dow Jones Industrial Average is lagging small-cap and mid-cap indices. He said International Business Machine's (IBM) share buyback announcement boosted the index and the other stocks on Tuesday.
Dan Nathan, co-founder and editor of riskreversal.com, said it seems unhealthy for earnings per share to continue growing while revenue remain flat.
Jon Najarian, co-founder of optionmonster.com and trademonster.com, said IBM was desperate and needed to do something. He added that the Fed, short-covering and corporate buybacks are all fueling the market gains.
Guy Adami, managing director of stockmonster.com, said the move higher in IBM seems like a head fake that the S&P 500 could trade down to 1,740 by the end of the week.
Brian Marshall, senior managing director and head of ISI's technology team, was a guest on the show and said IBM is simply too big to grow. He added that over 50% of the company's earnings growth over the past 10 years is from share buybacks. He concluded the stock could work its way below $150.
Adami said the pullback in LinkedIn seems like a buying opportunity, despite the stock having resistance near $250. He added that it will likely consolidate for a while before moving higher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV