NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold is almost always volatile when there is a Federal Reserve meeting on tap. Phil Streible, senior commodities broker at RJO Futures, told TheStreet's Joe Deaux that gold prices haven't fluctuated much lately, holding steady near the $1,350 level.
Streible wondered if any news out of the Fed meeting, beginning tomorrow, and the recently weak economic data was baked into gold prices. Investors also want to know if the weak economic data and any future government shutdown will again delay the Fed's tapering plans, he said.
In terms of price action, he suggested gold could consolidate and eventually drift down towards the $1,338 level, where it should find solid support. From there, prices can start to head higher.
Regarding the Federal Open Market Committee meeting, Streible said doesn't expect the Fed to announce any tapering of its asset purchases yet. It's likely the Fed will stick with its wait-and-see approach, which should pave the way to $1,400 for gold prices, he concluded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV