NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) reported fourth-quarter earnings after the close, and all eyes were on guidance, as the tech giant gets set for the holiday season.
Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple reported net income of $8.26 per share on $37.5 billion in revenue as iPhone sales topped 33.8 million during the quarter compared to 26.9 million in the same period a year earlier. The company also sold 14.1 million iPads and 4.6 million Macs during the quarter. Gross margin for the quarter was 37%. Analysts surveyed by Thomson
Reuters are looking for Apple to earn $7.96 a share on $36.93 billion in revenue for the fourth quarter.
Gross margin guidance for the the fiscal first-quarter was a concern, but Apple did its best to alleviate those concerns on the conference call. CFO Peter Oppenehimer said the gross margin guidance, which is between 36.5% and 37.5%, would be higher if it were not for $900 million in deferred revenue for the quarter, due largely to Apple now giving away software, including Mac OS X Maverick, iLife, iPhoto and iWork.
For the holiday shopping season, Apple expects to generate between $55 and $58 billion in revenue, with gross margins between 36.5% and 37.5%. It expects operating expenses to be between $4.4 and $4.5 billion. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are looking for Apple to generate $13.81 a share in earnings on $55.7 billion in revenue for its fiscal first quarter. Shares of Apple fluctuated between losses and gains in the after-hours session, recently trading lower by 0.26% to $528.49.
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV