IRVINE, Calif., Oct. 28, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- MRI Interventions, Inc. (OTCQB:MRIC) today announced that outcomes data from the use of its ClearPoint ® Neuro Intervention System in "asleep" deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery were presented during the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) in San Francisco.
In an Original Science Program talk entitled "Application Accuracy of a Second Generation Interventional MRI Stereotactic Platform: Initial Experience in 101 DBS Electrode Implantations," Dr. Paul Larson, neurosurgeon at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), presented accuracy results from a prospective study of 60 patients who underwent asleep DBS with the ClearPoint System at UCSF between August 2010 and March 2013. Highlights of the study included:
- 98% of electrodes were placed with a single pass into the brain;
- No electrodes have required repositioning;
- The average accuracy of the electrode placement was 0.6 millimeter;
- Average surgical times were 3 hours 4 minutes for bilateral cases and 2 hours 23 minutes for unilateral cases.
"Almost every electrode was placed with a single pass to the brain," Dr. Larson stated after his presentation, "meaning we hit the target the first time in each of those cases. More importantly, we hit the correct target based on the fact that no patients have returned for repositioning. We were able to do this through real-time image guidance enabled by ClearPoint."During a reception sponsored by MRI Interventions on Monday, October 21, Dr. Fiona Gupta, neurologist at Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC), presented clinical outcomes of asleep DBS with the ClearPoint System at HUMC. Dr. Gupta collected data regarding 11 patients, with an average post-operative follow-up of 15 months. Highlights from Dr. Gupta's presentation included:
- Patients' motor symptom scores improved an average of 72% on the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS), when comparing their pre-operative "off medication" UPDRS scores to their post-operative "on medication" UPDRS scores;
- Patients' post-operative Levodopa dosages decreased by an average of 71% from their pre-operative dosages.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV