Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ:BIIB) today reported third quarter 2013 total revenues of $1.8 billion, an increase of 32% over the third quarter of 2012. Non-GAAP diluted EPS for the third quarter of 2013 were $2.35, an increase of 23% over the third quarter of 2012. Non-GAAP net income attributable to Biogen Idec for the third quarter of 2013 was $561 million, an increase of 23% versus the third quarter of 2012.
GAAP diluted EPS for the third quarter of 2013 were $2.05, an increase of 23% over the third quarter of 2012. GAAP net income for the third quarter of 2013 was $488 million, an increase of 22% over the third quarter of 2012. A reconciliation of our GAAP to Non-GAAP financial results can be found in Table 3 at the end of this release.
Revenue gains were driven by TECFIDERA (dimethyl fumarate) with TECFIDERA revenues totaling $286 million during the third quarter of 2013. According to IMS, TECFIDERA is now the leading oral MS therapy in the United States after only six months on the market. AVONEX ® (interferon beta-1a) revenues decreased slightly versus the third quarter of 2012 to $733 million, while TYSABRI ® (natalizumab) revenue increased by 46% as a result of Biogen Idec recording 100 percent of TYSABRI revenues following the Company’s acquisition of full rights for the therapy from Elan in the second quarter of 2013. Global in-market sales for TYSABRI for the quarter were flat as compared to the third quarter of 2012.
“We believe the continued growth of TECFIDERA is a testament to its value to patients and physicians and we are pleased with how it has complemented our robust portfolio of MS therapies,” said Chief Executive Officer George A. Scangos.“Our continuing commitment to innovation also has resulted in exciting new data that show advances in many of our approved and investigational therapies as we continue to enhance options for MS patients now and in the future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV