After-Hours Trading Shows Alpha Natural Resources (ANR) Lagging
- ANR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $58.5 million.
- ANR is down 30% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ANR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ANR NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ANR: Alpha Natural Resources, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in extracting, processing, and marketing steam and metallurgical coal in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Wyoming. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Alpha Natural Resources a buy, 4 analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold. The average volume for Alpha Natural Resources has been 10.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Alpha Natural has a market cap of $1.4 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. The stock has a beta of 2.41 and a short float of 20.3% with 4.38 days to cover. Shares are down 36.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Alpha Natural Resources as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 6.42%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -13.90% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- ANR's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 35.53%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- ANR, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 6.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 27.8%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- ANR's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.72 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 0.94 is weak.
- You can view the full Alpha Natural Resources Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.