The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) on Friday rose 0.3% to 64.86, with all but six of the index components ending with gains.
Shares of American Express have returned 46% this year. The shares trade for 15.3 times the consensus 2014 earnings estimate of $5.41 a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.
The company on Oct. 16 reported third-quarter earnings of $1.354 billion, or $1.25 a share, compared to $1.405 billion, or $1.27 a share, during the second quarter and $1.250 billion, or $1.09 a share, during the third quarter of 2012.
American Express said U.S. Card Services revenue grew 6% year-over-year to $4.286 billion during the third quarter. Period-end loan balances were up 2% year-over-year to $63.0 billion as of Sept. 30.With its focus on high-margin travel services and credit card lending, the company is known for generating very solid returns on equity. American Express reported a third-quarter return on average tangible common equity of 30.6%, increasing from 29.7% the previous quarter, but down from 33.5% a year earlier. KBW analyst Sanjay Sakhrani rates American Express "outperform," with an $87 price target. In a client note on Oct. 16, the analyst wrote that "the company's results were solid despite the challenging economic backdrop and we like the fact that the company has a number of levers that it can exercise if conditions become more challenging. Also, should the economic backdrop become more positive, we believe there is decent upside potential to top-line growth as well as our EPS estimates." AXP data by YCharts
Interested in more on American Express? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV