Dow Corning Corp. today announced sales of $4.12 billion and net income of $267 million through the first three quarters of 2013. Dow Corning’s year-to-date sales and adjusted net income were down 11 percent and 25 percent, respectively, compared to 2012. Adjusted net income for both 2013 and 2012 excluded gains from long term sales agreements. Additionally, adjusted net income for 2013 excluded restructuring expenses, charges for impaired assets and a gain from a favorable derivative contract.
Additional information about Dow Corning’s financial results:
Third Quarter Results
- Sales were $1.43 billion, 8 percent lower than last year’s third quarter.
- Pricing pressure continued to limit margins in Dow Corning’s Silicones segment.
- Polysilicon segment performance tracked positively despite continued pricing and volume pressure.
- Adjusted net income was $28 million, 64 percent lower than last year’s third quarter.
- Sales were $4.12 billion, 11 percent lower than last year.
- Adjusted net income was $201 million, 25 percent lower than last year.
|Q3 2013||Q3 2012||% Change||2013||2012||% Change|
|Sales (in billions)||$||1.43||$||1.55||-8||%||$||4.12||$||4.64||-11||%|
|Net income (in millions)||$||117||$||97||22||%||$||267||$||288||-8||%|
|Adjusted net income* (in millions)||$||28||$||77||-64||%||$||201||$||269||-25||%|
|*Adjusted net income is a non-GAAP financial measure which excludes certain unusual items. The reconciliation between GAAP and non-GAAP measures is shown in the table following the news release.|
- “Despite the significant pricing challenges we’ve faced in the past 18 months, Dow Corning maintains its industry leading financial foundation. In the past year we’ve paid down debt and maintained stable cash levels, carrying a strong balance sheet which will enable us to adapt and invest in the growth of our business.”
- “Our Silicones segment continues to sell high volumes while pricing pressure continues to challenge our margins. We are confident that our product portfolio and talented team are well positioned to help our silicones business return to the trajectory of growth we expect.”
- “Hemlock Semiconductor’s polysilicon performance continued to track positively despite pricing and volume pressure as the solar industry deals with excess capacity and awaits resolution of the global trade disputes.”
|Dow Corning Corporation|
|Selected Financial Information|
|(in millions of U. S. dollars)|
|Consolidated Income Statement Data|
|Three Months Ended September 30,||Nine Months Ended September 30,|
|Attributable to Dow Corning||$||117.4||$||96.6||$||266.7||$||288.4|
|Adjustment for Restructuring 1 , net||$||2.6||$||-||$||27.1||$||-|
|Adjustment for Long Term Sales Agreements 2||$||(134.1||)||$||(19.7||)||$||(134.1||)||$||(19.7||)|
|Adjustment for Asset Impairment 3||$||74.0||$||-||$||74.0||$||-|
|Adjustment for Contract Asset 4||$||(32.3||)||$||-||$||(32.3||)||$||-|
|Adjusted Net Income 5||$||27.6||$||76.9||$||201.4||$||268.7|
|1 The three and nine month periods ended September 30, 2013 included adjustments for restructuring charges.|
|2 The three and nine month periods ended September 30, 2013 and September 30, 2012 included adjustments for gains on long term sales agreements.|
|3 The three and nine month periods ended September 30, 2013 included an adjustment for asset impairment.|
|4 The three and nine month periods ended September 30, 2013 included an adjustment for recognition of a favorable derivative contract asset.|
|5 Adjusted Net Income is a non-GAAP financial measure which excludes certain unusual items and which reconciles to Net Income as shown.|
|Consolidated Balance Sheet Data|
|September 30, 2013||December 31, 2012|
|Property, Plant and Equipment, Net||7,261.7||7,553.1|
|Liabilities and Equity|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV