With the holiday shopping season just around the corner, UPS (NYSE: UPS) announced today it expects to pick-up over 34 million packages globally on its peak day, December 16. There are 26 shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, six fewer than last year making it the most compressed holiday season since 2002. Overall, UPS expects peak season daily volume to increase by 8% this year.
The National Retail Federation is predicting a 3.9% increase in U.S. holiday sales. The continued consumer shift toward global e-commerce is driving higher demand for shipping services. UPS expects to see stronger holiday package activity during peak online shopping periods.
“We have seen year-over-year how e-commerce and the growing trend of mobile commerce continues to shape how consumers shop,” said Alan Gershenhorn, UPS chief sales and marketing officer. “Our suite of solutions is uniquely positioned to help our e-commerce customers meet the changing consumer demands.”
Key peak season dates include:
- Cyber Monday, December 2 - Pick-up volume will eclipse 32 million, an increase of 10%.
- Monday, December 16 - Peak pick-up day with over 34 million packages.
- Tuesday, December 17 - Peak delivery day with over 29 million packages.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts