5 Cities That Aren't Seeing a Housing Recovery
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The long-running housing bust seems to have finally ended in most of the country, but here's a look at five markets where the bad times roll on.
"These markets are great bargains relative to the rest of the country, but that comes with a price: You're probably not going to see home values recover or increase there as much as in other areas," says Daren Blomquist of RealtyTrac, which recently ranked the five metro areas dead last in its Housing Market Recovery Index.
RealtyTrac's index scores 100 of America's largest metro areas based on seven measures of market health, from the local jobless rate to how many homeowners are "underwater" (owing more on their mortgages that their properties are worth).
Blomquist says cities at the very bottom of the list mostly sit in the Pennsylvania/Maryland area, which he says appears to suffer from "a combination of lingering foreclosures and an economy that's not rebounding much."The expert adds that the nation's weakest housing markets are also all in states that have "judicial" foreclosure rules, which require lenders to go through long court processes to seize homes. States with "non-judicial" rules generally allow quicker property seizures, which reduce consumer protections but help clear up foreclosure backlogs more rapidly. "I think it's logical that
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV