Civil rights group seeks meeting with Barneys CEO
NEW YORK (AP) a¿¿ A civil rights group said Thursday it was seeking a meeting with the CEO of Barneys New York in the wake of racial profiling claims by two shoppers at the high-end department store.
The Brooklyn chapter of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network said the group also plans to picket Barneys if the alleged pattern of racial profiling does not stop, its president, Kirsten John Foy, said in a statement.Two black shoppers this week accused Barneys of detaining them after they made expensive purchases at the store in Manhattan. One of them has filed a discrimination lawsuit against Barneys, the city and its police department; another filed a complaint with the city's police watchdog agency. ___ By The Associated Press= The Dow Jones industrial average rose 95.88 points, or 0.6 percent, to close at 15,509.21 Thursday. The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 5.69 points, or 0.3 percent, to 1,752.07. The Nasdaq composite rose 21.89 points, or 0.6 percent, to 3,928.96. Benchmark U.S. crude for December delivery gained 25 cents to close at $97.11 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Wholesale gasoline added 4 cents to $2.59 a gallon. Natural gas rose 1 cent to $3.63 per 1,000 cubic feet. Heating oil shed 2 cents to $2.90 a gallon. Brent crude fell 81 cents to $106.99 a barrel on the ICE futures exchange in London.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV