ATLANTA, Oct. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- What can shut down two lanes of Peachtree Street on a bustling Friday night in Midtown? It's the Best Friend of Charleston, historic icon of Norfolk Southern Railway (NYSE: NSC), hoisted high above the street as the locomotive departs the lobby of NS' David R. Goode Building here for its new showcase at Charleston, S.C.
The Best Friend, 1928 replica of the first locomotive built in America for regular service on a railroad, has resided in the lobby facing Atlanta's most famous street since 2007, on loan from the city of Charleston. NS traces its beginning to the Christmas Day 1830 inaugural run of the Best Friend on the company's earliest predecessor railroad company.
Now, Charleston has renovated a building in the city's historic district to display the locomotive not too far from where the original first run occurred almost 183 years ago. Getting the Best Friend out of the NS building lobby in the wee hours of Saturday, Oct. 26, for its welcome back to Charleston will be no small feat.
Glass plates measuring 14 feet tall by eight feet wide will be removed to make a narrow gateway for the train consist, including the locomotive, tender and two passenger coaches. They will leave the building slowly and gingerly on a specially engineered turntable lubricated with liquid soap and powered by human muscle. Once just outside the building, a crane will hoist them one at a time high into the air over a plaza and onto flatbed trucks awaiting on Peachtree Street for their delivery to Charleston.Rail fans will see irony in the Best Friend making its final journey by truck. Transportation enthusiasts will view it as evidence of the close partnership between rail and truck typical of today's intermodal freight commerce.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV