Updated from 3:29 p.m. EST to provide executive comments from the press release in the third and fourth paragraphs.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tesla Motors (TSLA) has hired Apple's (AAPL) Doug Field to be its Vice President of Vehicle Programs, as the electric car maker looks to bolster its staffers.
At Apple, Fied was responsible for developing such Apple products as the latest MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac. The Tesla exec started his career as an engineer at Ford.
"Doug has demonstrated the leadership and technical talent to develop and deliver outstanding products, including what are widely considered the best computers in the world," said Elon Musk, Tesla co-founder and CEO said in the press release. "Tesla's future depends on engineers who can create the most innovative, technologically advanced vehicles in the world. Doug's experience in both consumer electronics and traditional automotive makes him an important addition to our leadership team."
"Until Tesla came along, I had never seriously considered leaving Apple," Field said in the release. "I started my career with the goal of creating incredible cars, but ultimately left the auto industry in search of fast-paced, exciting engineering challenges elsewhere. As the first high tech auto company in modern history, Tesla is at last an opportunity for me and many others to pursue the dream of building the best cars in the world-while being part of one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley."
Field will join George Blankenship in employees coming from Apple. Blankenship, who was interviewed by TheStreet last year, is Tesla's VP of Design and Store Development. At Apple, he was a Vice President of Real Estate, holding the job for over six years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV