NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Microsoft (MSFT) shares surged 4.8% to $35.39 in after-hours trading after the tech giant beat on both first-quarter earnings and revenue, as its devices and consumer, and commercial segments yielded upbeat results.
Microsoft said its first-quarter fiscal 2014 net income rose to $5.244 billion, or 62 cents a share, from $4.466 billion, or 53 cents a share the prior year as revenue rose 16% to $18.53 billion for the period ended September 30. Wall Street was looking for earnings of 54 cents a share on revenue of $17.79 billion, according to a survey of analysts by Thomson Reuters.
During the quarter, Devices and Consumer revenue grew 4% to $7.46 billion and Commercial revenue grew 10% to $11.20 billion.
Within the Devices and Consumer segment, Windows OEM revenue declined 7%; Windows Pro revenue grew for the second consecutive quarter; Surface revenue grew to $400 million with sequential growth in revenue and units sold over the prior quarter; and search advertising revenue increased 47%, driven by a rise in revenue per search and volume.
In the Consumer unit, SQL server revenue were up by the double-digits, with SQL Server Premium revenue growing more than 30%; Lync, SharePoint, and Exchange collectively increased by the double-digits; and commercial cloud revenue soared by 103%.-- Written by Andrea Tse in New York >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.>
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV