CLEVELAND, Oct. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company (CEI) personnel are working to restore service to nearly 50,000 customers in northeast Ohio affected by the early season snow squalls that impacted the region late last night and early this morning. An additional 150 crews from FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE) utilities Ohio Edison, Toledo Edison, Penelec and West Penn Power are expected to arrive in the hardest hit areas throughout the day to assist with the restoration process.
The weight of the "lake effect" snow – combined with leaves still being on the trees – has resulted in numerous tree limbs and branches falling into CEI equipment and wires, causing service interruptions. The hardest hit areas are Cuyahoga and Geauga counties.
The majority of customers currently without power are expected to be restored by Friday, if not sooner, based on current weather conditions. The priority for restoration starts with emergency services, including hospitals, police, and fire. Repairs are scheduled based on restoring the most people the fastest. In areas with severe damage, it may require repairs in multiple locations to restore power to one location.
Customers are encouraged to be safe around downed power lines:
- Keep children and pets away from any wires.
- Customers should immediately report downed wires to CEI or local police or fire departments. Customers should never go near a downed power line, even if they think it's no longer carrying electricity.
- Don't walk or drive near or over a downed line, and watch out for anything touching the line. If a wire falls on a vehicle, passengers should stay inside until help arrives.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV