REDONDO BEACH, Calif., Oct. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Recent deliveries of application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) are getting Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE: NOC) production of payloads for the U.S. Air Force's fifth and sixth Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) protected communication satellites off to a strong start.
More than 800 ASICs delivered by Honeywell Aerospace in Plymouth, Minn., and BAE Systems of Arlington, Va., bolster the building of electronic units that operate customized functions unique to AEHF payloads. Those capabilities, for example, include onboard signal processing and a highly sophisticated suite of 14 antennas that provides users with millions of options for countering adversaries' electronic, cyber and physical threats.
"Customized semiconductors are the main reason AEHF payloads are half the size and weight of previous-generation MILSTAR satellite payloads while providing 10 times the capacity," said Stuart Linsky, vice president, communication programs, Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems. "Lighter payloads mean considerable savings in launch costs for the Air Force."Advanced EHF, the next generation of protected military satellite communications satellites, provides vastly improved global, survivable, highly secure, jam-proof communications for strategic command and tactical warfighters operating on ground, sea and air platforms. Northrop Grumman has delivered three AEHF payloads to system prime contractor Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Sunnyvale, Calif. The company is also building the fourth payload at its Redondo Beach facilities. "Advanced EHF payloads are an innovative blend of onboard digital signal processing hardware, firmware and software that deliver flexible connectivity on demand," Linsky said. "Each payload has constellation interconnects provided through satellite crosslinks that form a truly global, protected communications network without the need for vulnerable overseas ground gateways or stations." To meet more than 3,000 specific requirements, he said, each AEHF payload includes:
- Almost one million lines of software code
- 25 computers
- Nearly 800 application-specific integrated circuits
- Almost 18,000 monolithic microwave integrated circuits of 70 unique designs; and
- More than 13,000 integrated microwave assemblies and hybrids of 50 unique designs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV