PPG Industries (NYSE: PPG), the world’s leading manufacturer of transportation coatings, today released its annual automotive color trend data, which shows that white continues to be the most popular car color globally based on 2013 automotive build data.
According to PPG’s global data, white ranked first (up 3 percent from last year to 25 percent) and silver and black tied for second (18 percent each). These were followed by gray, red, natural hues, blue and green, all of which maintained the same share of popularity as in 2012. In North America, white remains most popular (21 percent), followed by black (19 percent), gray (17 percent), and silver (15 percent). These were followed by red, blue, natural hues and green. In South America, however, silver leads in popularity (33 percent), followed by white (29 percent), black (13 percent), gray (11 percent), red (8 percent), natural (3 percent), blue (2 percent), and green and other colors (1 percent total).
“While white continues to be the most dominant choice in car color, we see growth in the variety of whites being offered to consumers,” said Jane E. Harrington, PPG manager, color styling, automotive OEM (original equipment manufacturer) coatings. “Car manufacturers are seeking ways to create variations of white, silver, black and gray that are specific to their brands and that complement different vehicle types. Distinct effects such as micas, glass flakes, fine bright aluminum and hue-shifting pigments help them achieve this.”
In fact, across North American vehicle types in 2013, PPG found that:
- Sport models are most likely to feature shades of red and blue,
- The largest percentage of gold and beige vehicles is in the minivan segment,
- Luxury vehicles, 57 percent of which were gray in 2013, are most likely to feature effect finishes in black metallic and white pearl, and
- Color varies most across sport utility vehicles (SUVs), with relatively equal distributions finished in shades of white, black, blue, red and gray.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts