Build-A-Bear Workshop, Inc. (NYSE:BBW), an interactive entertainment retailer, today reported results for the third quarter and first nine months ended September 28, 2013.
Third Quarter 2013 Highlights (13 weeks ended September 28, 2013):
- Consolidated net retail sales were $83.6 million while operating 31 fewer stores compared to $84.3 million in the fiscal 2012 third quarter, a decrease of 0.9%, excluding the impact of foreign exchange;
- Consolidated comparable store sales increased 6.4% and included a 7.6% increase in North America and a 2.3% increase in Europe;
- Retail gross margin expanded 360 basis points to 40.1%, compared to 36.5% in the 2012 third quarter;
- Pre-tax loss improved to $1.1 million, including $0.6 million in management transition and store closing costs, from a pre-tax loss of $4.5 million in the 2012 third quarter;
- Net loss was $1.4 million, or $0.08 per share, an improvement from a net loss of $4.3 million, or $0.26 per share in the fiscal 2012 third quarter; and
- Adjusted net loss was $0.8 million, or $0.05 per share, an improvement from adjusted net loss of $4.2 million or $0.25 per share in the fiscal 2012 third quarter. (See Reconciliation of Net Loss to Adjusted Net Loss.)
Sharon Price John, Build-A-Bear Workshop’s Chief Executive Officer and Chief President Bear commented, “The third quarter marked our fourth consecutive period of comparable store sales growth in North America and our third consecutive increase in Europe. Stronger same store sales productivity, along with reduced promotions and disciplined expense management, drove an improvement in our operating performance.
“We have a solid plan in place and I expect to capitalize on the upcoming holiday season with compelling product and marketing initiatives. We are establishing a foundation to deliver our stated objective of sustainable profitable growth and will continue to leverage the strength of the Build-A-Bear Workshop brand, our core competencies and infrastructure to increase shareholder value,” Ms. John concluded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV