~ Second Quarter Sales Up 16.3% to $205.3 Million ~ ~ Second Quarter Net Income Up 18.2% to $13.6 Million; EPS of $.42 In Line With Guidance ~ ~ Signs Definitive Agreements to Acquire 10 Stores Representing Annual Sales of Approximately $15 Million ~ ~ Narrows Estimated Fiscal 2014 EPS Range to $1.58 to $1.65 ~
ROCHESTER, N.Y., Oct. 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Monro Muffler Brake, Inc. (Nasdaq:MNRO) ("Monro" or the "Company"), a leading provider of automotive undercar repair and tire services, today announced financial results for its second quarter ended September 28, 2013.
Second Quarter ResultsSales for the second quarter of fiscal 2014 increased 16.3% to $205.3 million as compared to $176.5 million for the second quarter of fiscal 2013. The total sales increase for the second quarter of $28.8 million was due to an increase in sales from new stores, including recently acquired stores of $33.9 million, partially offset by a decrease in comparable store sales of 2.1%. Comparable store sales increased approximately 5% for exhaust and 4% for brakes, and were flat for front end/shocks, while comparable store sales decreased approximately 2% for maintenance, 4% for alignments, and 6% for tires. Gross margin increased to 39.8% in the second quarter from 39.6% in the prior year quarter due to lower material costs and payroll control in comparable stores. These factors and leverage of fixed costs from higher overall sales more than offset the sales mix shift to the lower margin tire category related to recently acquired stores. Total operating expenses were $57.8 million, or 28.2% of sales, as compared with $50.1 million, or 28.4% of sales, for the same period of the prior year. Operating income for the quarter increased 21.2% to $23.9 million from $19.7 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2013. Interest expense was $2.0 million as compared to $1.4 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV