- Dow reported earnings of $0.49 per share or $0.50 per share on an adjusted basis (1). This compares with earnings of $0.42 per share in the same quarter last year. This represents the fourth consecutive quarter of year-over-year adjusted earnings growth.
- The Company generated more than $1.4 billion in cash flow from operations in the quarter, representing a nearly $300 million, or 27 percent, increase versus the year-ago period. Year to date, Dow has generated $5.6 billion in cash flow from operations, representing an improvement of nearly $3.1 billion compared with the prior year.
- Sales were $13.7 billion, up 1 percent, or up 2 percent on an adjusted basis (2), with increases led by Agricultural Sciences (up 8 percent), and Coatings and Infrastructure Solutions and Performance Plastics (each up 6 percent). Sales also increased in most geographic areas, with emerging geographies delivering sales growth of 5 percent, led by Latin America.
- Volume declined 2 percent, or 1 percent excluding the impact of divestitures. Gains were reported in Electronic and Functional Materials (up 6 percent), as well as Coatings and Infrastructure Solutions and Agricultural Sciences (each up 5 percent). This was offset by lower volume in hydrocarbon-sensitive operating segments, led by Feedstocks and Energy.
- Price increased 3 percent with gains achieved in most operating segments, led by Performance Plastics (up 9 percent) and Agricultural Sciences (up 3 percent).
- EBITDA (3) was $1.8 billion, led by Performance Plastics (up 32 percent). Increases were also reported in Coatings and Infrastructure Solutions and Electronic and Functional Materials, up 15 percent and 5 percent, respectively.
- Equity earnings were $322 million, versus $175 million in the year-ago period, led by the Company’s joint ventures in Kuwait.
- Dow reduced gross debt by $200 million in the quarter and $2.4 billion year to date, resulting in a nearly $120 million decline in interest expense year to date. Since 2010, Dow has reduced its debt by $5.2 billion, and its interest expense by more than $300 million. The Company’s net debt (4) to total capitalization now stands at 34.7 percent.
Dow Reports Third Quarter Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts