WATSONVILLE, Calif., Oct. 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- West Marine, Inc. (Nasdaq:WMAR), the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories in the United States, today reported financial results for the third quarter ended September 28, 2013.
- Net revenues were $193.4 million, an increase of 0.7% compared to last year.
- Comparable store sales increased by 0.9%.
- Direct-to-Consumer sales were up 20.3%, driven by our strategic investments in eCommerce.
- Sales in our merchandise expansion categories (which include footwear, apparel, clothing accessories, fishing products and paddle sports equipment) were up 11.0%, with core usage-related product sales down 0.8%, compared to last year.
- Pre-tax income was $13.0 million, down 23.2% compared to pre-tax income of $17.0 million last year.
- The company is reaffirming its 2013 full-year pre-tax guidance, with pre-tax income expected to be in the range of $15.5 million to $17.5 million, compared to pre-tax income of $24.3 million for 2012.
- The company remained debt-free at quarter-end and has $105.9 million available on its revolving credit line at the end of the period.
Net revenues for the 13 weeks ended September 28, 2013 were $193.4 million, an increase of 0.7% compared to net revenues of $191.9 million for the 13 weeks ended September 29, 2012.
In line with our omni-channel focus, beginning in the first quarter, we changed the definition of comparable store sales to now include sales from our Direct-to-Consumer and wholesale channels. As before, store sales are included in comparable store sales in the fiscal period in which they commence their 14th full month of operations. Stores that were closed or substantially remodeled (i.e., resulting in an increase or decrease of 40% or more of selling square footage) are excluded. Using this new definition, comparable store sales for our third quarter increased by 0.9% over the same period last year. For the third quarter last year, we reported a 4.9% increase in comparable store sales. Using the new definition, our third quarter 2012 comparable store sales also increased by 4.9%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV