Generac Holdings Inc. (NYSE: GNRC) (the “Company”), a leading designer and manufacturer of generators and other engine powered products, today reported financial results for its third quarter ended September 30, 2013.
Third Quarter 2013 Highlights
- Net sales increased year-over-year by 20.9% to $363.3 million as compared to $300.6 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- Net income during the third quarter of 2013 was $47.1 million, or $0.67 per share, as compared to $25.5 million or $0.37 per share for the same period of 2012.
- Adjusted net income, as defined in the accompanying reconciliation schedules, increased to $73.7 million from $54.1 million in the third quarter of 2012. Adjusted diluted net income per share was $1.06 as compared to $0.78 per share in the third quarter of 2012.
- Adjusted EBITDA increased 31.2% to $100.1 million as compared to $76.3 million in the third quarter last year. Adjusted EBITDA margin during the third quarter improved to 27.5% as compared to 25.4% in the prior year primarily due to warranty rate improvements resulting in a favorable adjustment to warranty reserves.
- Cash flow from operations in the third quarter of 2013 was $80.9 million as compared to $69.5 million in the prior year quarter. Free cash flow was $76.7 million as compared to $61.6 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- For the trailing four quarters, including the third quarter of 2013, net sales were $1.452 billion; net income was $154.3 million; adjusted EBITDA was $382.1 million; cash flow from operations was $261.6 million; and free cash flow was $238.4 million.
- On August 1, 2013, the Company closed on the previously announced acquisition of Tower Light Srl, a leading developer and supplier of mobile light towers throughout Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
- Subsequent to the end of the quarter, the Company entered into a purchase agreement on October 7, 2013 to acquire substantially all of the assets of Baldor Electric Company’s generator division (“Baldor Generators”). Baldor Generators offers a complete line of generators ranging from 3kW to 2.5MW throughout North America.
“We experienced double-digit organic revenue growth again during the quarter as a result of increased spending from our national account customers and continued adoption of standby generators for both residential and commercial applications,” said Aaron Jagdfeld, President and Chief Executive Officer. “We believe our expanded dealer base, targeted marketing efforts and continued roll-out of our PowerPlay ® in-home sales process are having an impact on extending the awareness and distribution of standby generators, which is leading to a new and higher baseline level of demand for these products. In addition, over the last twelve months, we have announced several acquisitions that provide us with immediate access to new global markets and new products, helping to further grow and diversify our business.”
Additional Third Quarter 2013 HighlightsResidential product sales for the third quarter of 2013 increased to $192.7 million from $191.0 million for the comparable period in 2012. Shipments of home standby generators were higher sequentially and over the prior year due to a combination of factors including the additional awareness and adoption created by major power outages in recent years, the Company’s expanded distribution, increased sales and marketing initiatives, overall strong operational execution and a more favorable environment for residential investment. The strength in home standby generators was partially offset by a decline in shipments of portable generators due to less severe power outage events in the current year quarter relative to prior year, although expanded placement for these products continued to lead to year-over-year market share gains. In addition, increased revenue from power washer products also contributed to the year-over-year sales growth in residential products.