NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With several thousand equities in the U.S. alone, opportunities always await to be uncovered. Easier said than done, though. During periods of broad overvaluation like the present, identifying hidden gems can be tough and doing so requires a unique point of view.
My point of view stems from a unique foundation of investment knowledge: Growing up in Silicon Valley during the Tech Bubble while simultaneously studying the lessons of Peter Lynch.
Reading Peter Lynch's books in high school and studying his investing methods made an impact on a young student of the market. I appreciated his simple approach to stock selection, such as walking through a shopping mall to see what's selling well and to simply invest in what you understand. The contrast of Peter Lynch's growth and value approach with the frothy speculative tech environment provided me with a robust and eclectic foundation of investment experience and knowledge from which to build upon.
This foundation helps me to identify potential opportunities like Crown Crafts (CRWS).Now, I'm the first to admit that I am not an expert in all things, but I do hold at least an adequate understanding of dog beds and baby blankets. Yes, that's right, dog beds and baby blankets. Crown Crafts has a couple of divisions. One produces dog beds and the others sell plush products for infants and babies. Nothing glamorous or "sexy" but certainly stable businesses that won't be replaced by technology in the near future. Peter Lynch appreciated companies with solid management, dividends when available and solid cash flow. Crown Crafts is a stock that he would love. He could easily understand their products. Management doesn't take multi-million dollar paychecks. It has a 4.3% dividend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV