By John Licata of Blue Phoenix
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- While over for now, the impact of the government shutdown can't be overlooked. In the aftermath, some areas I'm already looking at to outperform the overall stock market in the coming year include cybersecurity and utilities. Names such as Lockheed Martin (LMT) and American Electric Power (AEP) should be on your radar.
Many analysts have their own thoughts on the recent government shutdown and the ramifications on decision-making, permitting and mortgage approvals. To me, the recent "political plague" that lasted 16 days was a unique Category 5 hurricane (like Andrew in 1992) that shocked our economic system at its very core. More on that later.The real damage from this shutdown has yet to be calculated and that could make trying to gauge the domestic employment picture as difficult as walking in the forest at night with a broken compass. This means the government stimulus is not ending anytime soon. But caveat emptor my friends. It's my belief that the Fed staying the course on monthly bond purchases may already be reflected in the stock market, suggesting 2014 will be a true stock pickers' market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV