I have been studying both Apple (AAPL) and Facebook (FB) closely into earnings next week. While both companies look great, I think they are both due for a dive. Take a quick look at FB skew structure in the cycle that has its earnings. Notice how flat the curve is and how well bid the calls are. This is almost always a sign of traders dumping stock and levering up on calls and/or the retail public exuberantly buying the stock ahead of earnings. Additionally, the IV of the options as a whole are off the charts high. FB vol is higher now than when it listed.
At this point I would flatten up a long position in both AAPL and FB and look to take some money off the table. I have a small position personally in my IRA that I will be working to close over the next few days.
Moving into earnings next week I will likely set up a front spread trade for TheStreet that could potentially kill it if FB moves higher by 10%, or so, but will do well if the stock drops, which I think is more than likely to happen.
In terms of AAPL, the movement is not nearly as bad, but still looks screwy, as it is feeling toppy. If I had a position I would be lightening it up.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Mark can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionPit
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV