NYU Sports And Society Launches With An All-Star Faculty And Advisory Board
Program to Lead Research , Produce Published Works, and Host Events That Examine the Meaning, the Morality, and the Impact of Sports on a Global Scale
NEW YORK, Oct. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Recognizing the immense social, economic, cultural, and geopolitical impact of sports, the NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies ( NYU-SCPS) will, this week, launch NYU Sports and Society, with an all-star advisory board that includes: Gary Bettman , Fay Vincent , Jr., Harry Carson , Garland Allen , Bob Costas , Tony Ponturo , Lesley Visser , and Shelley Zalis .
The program aims to become an academic home—a think tank—for scholarship and dialogue that will further the study of sports as a societal force. It will offer a blend of programming and academic research that will explore sports from a variety of perspectives. The goal is to increase and to enhance the public understanding and appreciation of sports in a global society, as well as its ability to effect change in fields as diverse as the natural and social sciences, business, medicine, law, media and communications, and education. It also will serve to educate young athletes in the importance of sportsmanship, character, and integrity, whether they are playing for fun or playing in the hopes of pursuing a career as a professional.
NYU Sports and Society Board of Directors:
- Arthur R. Miller , chairman NYU Sports and Society, NYU University Professor, director of Public Dialogues at NYU-SCPS; and one of the country's foremost legal experts in civil procedure, civil litigation, copyright and unfair competition, and privacy. Miller has moderated Socratic dialogues for several PBS series, and won an Emmy Award for his work on The Constitution: That Delicate Balance. He is generally credited with bringing legal commentary to television though his programs on NBC, WCVB-TV Boston, PBS (The Fred Friendly Seminars), and Great Britain's BBC; and for being legal editor for ABC's Good Morning America for over 20 years.
- Ted Shaker , chief operating officer, adjunct professor at the NYU-SCPS Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism, and Sports Management (Tisch Center). He is a former executive producer at CBS Sports, where he won 13 Emmy Awards and two Peabody Awards; former executive producer CNBC Business News, founder and president of Sports Illustrated Television; and co-creator of CNN/SI, television's first 24-hour sports news cable channel.
- Arthur L. Caplan , world renowned bioethicist, Drs. William F. and Virginia Connolly Mitty Professor of Bioethics and director of the Division of Medical Ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center. He has served on the special advisory committee to the International Olympic Committee on genetics and gene therapy, and the FIFA special advisory committee on the use of technology in allowing athletes to adapt to altitude and other environmental challenges
- Robert Boland , academic chair and clinical associate professor of sports management at the NYU-SCPS Tisch Center, which offers an M.S. and a Graduate Certificate in Sports Business; a B.S. in Sports Management; and numerous noncredit certificates and courses. Boland is a leading sports attorney and a consultant to collegiate conferences and leagues on strategic and legal issues.
- Lee Igel , clinical associate professor at the NYU-SCPS Tisch Center, who is a regular contributor to Forbes.com, and an industrial/organizational psychologist, whose teaching and writing focus on behavioral insights and decision-making.
- Wayne G. McDonnell, Jr ., clinical associate professor of sports management at the NYU-SCPS Tisch Center, who is a regular contributor to Forbes.com, and a frequent media commentator on all things baseball.
- Brendan Parent , an attorney and clinical instructor in the Division of Bioethics at the NYU Langone Medical Center, and was previously a fellow at the NY Task Force on Life and the Law.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV