Oct. 23, 2013
With the arrival of fall, it's deer hunting and mating season, and Meemic Insurance Company is reminding motorists to be aware of the increased risk of deer-car collisions that always occurs around this time of year. Deer collisions are the cause of an estimated 1.23 million collisions, 200 deaths and
in damages each year and according to the
Insurance Institute For Highway Safety
, collisions, injuries and fatalities always increase during the fall months.
"Collisions with deer always spike this time of year as they become more active during hunting and mating season," said Meemic Insurance Company spokesperson,
. "Between expanding populations and the encroachment of humans into their natural habitat, deer become a serious safety hazard that drivers should be extra cautious of during the fall."
Meemic Insurance Company offers several steps you can take to help avoid a deer collision:
- Stay aware, awake, and sober
- Car-deer crashes occur all year, but are more likely during spring and fall, and at dusk and dawn so drivers should take extra precautions during these times
- Pay attention to deer crossing and speed limit signs. Deer are creatures of habit and signs are installed at known deer crossing areas to alert you
- Deer are herd animals, and frequently travel single file. If you see one whitetail, watch for others
- ALWAYS wear a safety belt. It is your best defense against injury in any roadway crash
- Multiple independent studies have found that "Deer whistles" are not effective at warding off deer so even if you have one, remain vigilant
In the event that a crash is unavoidable, Meemic Insurance Company offers this advice to drivers:
About Meemic Insurance Company
- Don't swerve. Brake firmly, stay in your lane, hold the steering wheel, and come to a controlled stop
- Pull off the road. Turn on your emergency flashers and be cautious of traffic if you leave your vehicle
- Don't try to remove a deer from a roadway unless you are convinced it's dead. A wounded deer can cause serious injuries
- Report the crash to the nearest police and your insurance agent.
Meemic Insurance Company (
) provides personal lines insurance products to teachers and other educational employees in
and Wisconsin. For more than 63 years, Meemic remains a
-based company, proud partner of the educational community, committed to offering the finest possible protection, products and services at preferred rates. Trust Meemic for claims excellence, policy payment options to meet your needs and products tailored
to the educational community we serve. Meemic is a financially strong company (A. M. Best rating effective
). Our stability and reputation for integrity builds the confidence of our policyholders and remains the foundation for our continued mission to serve the educational community.
SOURCE Meemic Insurance Company