NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Brittany Umar and Stephanie Link, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, discussed what to make of some big companies' earnings reports.
Boeing (BA) beat on the top and bottom lines while raising its free-cash flow guidance. Link said the company was at the forefront of a "super-cycle" in the aerospace industry and had an incredibly strong management team.
She also said the higher-than-expected free-cash flow is very important, because Boeing has been spending so much money to build out its new jets. It also means the dividend could increase in the future or the company could buyback more shares.
Caterpillar (CAT), reported another dismal quarter. Link suggested investors do not have confidence in the company's earnings, which have been lowered for four straight quarters. The limited foresight in mining and the yet-to-rebound construction market make it hard to believe things will improve for CAT in the near term.She added the stock may not be as cheap as it seems, despite trading below its 20-year average on a price-to-earnings ratio basis. AT&T (T) reports Thursday. Link said she would be watching for three things: its wireless business, subscriptions and margins. She concluded that high-yield stocks have been oversold and she would be a buyer of AT&T on weakness. As for Caterpillar, Link said to wait for the stock to bottom before stepping in, which may be in the low $80s, and to wait for a 5% pullback in Boeing. She also likes aerospace supplier Precision Castparts (PCP), which hasn't appreciated as much as Boeing this year. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV