NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I was talking to Stephanie Link, co-portfolio manager at Action Alerts PLUS about the drop in oil prices and what that means for oil stocks.
I warned Stephanie the drop in oil prices is coming specifically in domestic West Texas Intermediary (WTI) prices and that is having its greatest effect on the most focused domestic producers, those that have had the greatest momentum gains this year. That means stocks including Cabot Oil and Gas (COG), Pioneer Natural Resources (PXD) and Continental Resources (CLR).
But for other stocks, I suggested to Stephanie this downturn in oil prices might represent an opportunity. Other oil companies are being deeply hit in share price while being far more diversified in assets and have far underperformed the "most-loved" momentum oil stocks we've discussed this year.
One stock I suggested might be worth buying on this dip is Devon (DVN), one which has just announced an instantly accretive merger of midstream assets with Crosstex Energy (XTXI). Devon has greatly underperformed the rest of the exploration and production energy space despite its wide asset base, tremendous cash position and tiny price to earnings ratio compared to peers.I talk more about Devon and other oil stocks with Stephanie in the video above. At the time of publication the author had a position in DVN. Action Alerts PLUS had no holdings in the stocks mentioned. Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV