NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- Corning
Samsung's display manufacturing division have announce a new agreement giving Corning full control of their display manufacturing joint venture.
Corning stock gained 13.1% $17.36 on the news.
According to last night's announcement Corning will assume full ownership of Samsung Corning Precision Materials (SCP) which manufacturers LCD glass in Korea. Samsung Display had owned 43% of that joint venture.
In exchange, Samsung Display will receive $1.9 billion in preferred shares from Corning. When and if converted the deal will give Samsung slightly more than 7% ownership in Corning. To ease competitors' possible fears the two companies set a limit to Samsung's investment. According to the official press release:
"Effective upon closing, a shareholder agreement between Corning and Samsung will limit Samsung's ownership to no more than 9% of Corning's common shares on an as-converted basis."
As another part of the overall deal Corning has agreed to continue supplying Samsung with high-quality smartphone, tablet and computer displays for the next ten years, until 2023.
Corning displays are best known to the public as "Gorilla Glass". The super-durable design is used in mobile products manufactured by numerous companies including Apple (AAPL), Google's (GOOG) Motorola division and HTC.
Samsung and Corning say they're also looking forward to "a strengthening of the two companies' technology collaborations on strategic product development and commercialization initiatives".
Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV