The RINF fact sheet at the ProShares Web site shows the index tracked by the fund has a much lower historical volatility than indexes tracking TIPS and Treasury bonds. However, since RINF started trading in early 2012, it has been much more volatile than the iShares TIPS Bond ETF (TIP) and just as volatile as the iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond ETF (TLT).
Higher inflation as a result of years of zero percent interest rates and asset purchases is a reasonable outcome even if the timing is unknowable. If inflation does start to rise, then that should be reflected in the spread tracked by RINF and the fund should go up. Additionally, inflation tends to put upward pressure on interest rates which could boost RINF's dividend payment.
There are a lot of variables, but if the fund does what it is intended to do, then it could turn out to be a good holding that avoids interest rate risk; to the contrary, it should benefit from rising rates.
This is a very complicated product and won't be suitable for most investors because of the complexity. While investors shouldn't invest in products that are difficult to understand, there is no reason not to explore alternative funds to see if they can be part of the solution. There is no harm in studying an investment product and deciding no.At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow@randomroger This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV