ROSELAND, N.J., Oct. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In support of National Save for Retirement Week, ADP ®, a leading global provider of Human Capital Management (HCM) solutions, offers tips to help small and midsized business owners engage Generation X (employees between ages 30-50) and Generation Y (employees under age 30) to help raise awareness about retirement savings. ADP also shares pointers younger employees can take to get their retirement planning on track for the future.
According to the Employee Benefit Research Institute's (EBRI) 2013 Retirement Confidence Survey, only 13 percent of Americans are "very confident" about their retirement planning. The study also showed that 75 percent of workers between the ages 25-34 have accumulated less than $25,000 in total savings and investments.
"Generation X and Y workers know they need to plan for retirement, but often don't feel confident in their ability to do so," said Chris Augelli, vice president, product marketing and business development at ADP Retirement Services. "These younger generations are looking for assistance in meeting retirement savings challenges. Employers who can provide them with the tools, guidance, and investments to help them successfully plan for their future can significantly boost employee recruitment and retention, and improve overall morale within their businesses."
Tips for Employers: To best engage with Generation X and Y employees, employers should remember these tips when helping with their retirement planning:
- Speak Their Language – Technology has reshaped the way younger generations communicate. Use modern communication channels to inform employees about the importance of having a retirement savings strategy by creating blogs or social media forums for employee benefits programs, and consider communicating with employees via text message.
- Offer Automatic Options – Using technology to simplify the process can help Generation X and Y employees maximize the benefit of their company's retirement plan. Consider plans with features like automatic enrollment, automatic rebalancing, and automatic deferral increases. Including target-date funds for employees to choose from can also be beneficial. These investment options provide fully diversified investment portfolios based on the employee's targeted retirement date.
- Provide Retirement Readiness Information – Younger employees generally want to study plan information and retirement savings projections on their own time, so providing easy access to online, mobile-optimized plan data as part of a retirement readiness program is important. Consider plan providers that offer participants interactive retirement savings calculators and the ability to compare their investment options based on investment type, performance, fees and more.
- Leverage the Stock Market – The 2008 financial crisis may have convinced younger workers to distrust the stock market since many were directly impacted by the unemployment and underemployment issues that resulted. However, the market still remains one of the best pathways to grow their retirement savings over time.
- Diversify Your Investment Portfolio – Younger workers typically have a longer investment horizon and often have a higher risk tolerance. This can give them the opportunity to invest in higher risk investment vehicles that may offer higher returns. Most importantly, they should embrace a well-diversified portfolio.
- Enroll Early and Consider Automatically Escalating Your 401(k) – Building on the savings principle of paying oneself first, younger workers who auto-escalate their 401(k) plan contributions can take advantage of compounding investment returns and train themselves to live within their means.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV