Wells Fargo reported third-quarter earnings of $5.6 billion, or 99 cents a share, increasing from $4.9 billion, or 88 cents a share, in the third quarter of 2012.
Regions Financial (RF) of Birmingham, Ala., is next, with adjusted core revenue, excluding mortgage revenue, increasing to $1.254 billion in the third quarter from $1.245 billion a year earlier. The company's average share count during the third quarter declined to 1.405 billion from 1.423 billion in the third quarter of 2012, so adjusted third-quarter revenue-per-share grew 2.0% to 89 cents from 87 cents a year earlier.
Regions reported third-quarter earnings of $285 million, or 20 cents a share, declining from $301 million, or 22 cents a year earlier. Please see TheStreet's coverage detail on several positive trends for the bank.
The last large-cap showing year-over-year core revenue growth, excluding mortgage revenue, is U.S. Bancorp (USB) of Minneapolis. The company's adjusted third-quarter revenue was $4.566 billion, declining from $4.659 billion a year earlier. But the company's average third-quarter share count declined to 1.843 billion from 1.897 billion in the third quarter of 2012. So adjusted revenue-per-share came to $2.48, increasing from $2.46 a year earlier.U.S. Bancorp reported third-quarter earnings of $1.468 billion, or 74 cents a share, compared to $1.474 billion, or 74 cents a share, a year earlier. The company also reported solid growth of average loans during the third quarter. Mutascio wrote that "over the past 12 months it does [not] appear that revenue per share generation is a good predictor of stock outperformance," but added that "At some point when the loan loss reserves are bled dry and cost cutting has run its course, we think revenue per share growth may be a better predictor of share price gains." -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV