BETHESDA, Md. and DEERFIELD, Ill., Oct. 23, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq:SCMP) ("Sucampo") and its development and commercialization partner Takeda Pharmaceuticals U.S.A., Inc. (Takeda) today announced that Sucampo Pharma Americas, LLC (SPA) initiated a pivotal clinical trial of a liquid form of lubiprostone 24 mcg BID in adult subjects with chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC).
Lubiprostone is the world's first chloride channel activator that increases intestinal fluid secretion, softens stools and increases motility in the intestine. This facilitates the passage of stool and alleviates symptoms associated with CIC.
"We are very pleased to announce the initiation of this trial of a new lubiprostone formulation, as many physicians are interested in additional dosing options for their patients," said Ryuji Ueno, M.D., Ph.D., Ph.D., Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, and Chief Scientific Officer of Sucampo. "While lubiprostone has been approved and is available in the United States, Japan, the United Kingdom and Switzerland, there is still an unmet need in patients who suffer from CIC but will not take lubiprostone in its current capsule form. If approved, alternative dosing options for this CIC patient population, as well as those suffering from OIC, can play an important role in making lubiprostone treatment available to a wider range of patients who may need it."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV