By Pete Najarian of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Tesoro (TSO) lit up our scanners Tuesday as energy names continued to draw aggressively bullish option action.
Last Thursday, the oil refiner saw buying in the November 49 calls for $1.12, and now that winning trade is being rolled forward after the stock has surged. OptionMonster's tracking systems show that a trader sold 7,500 contracts for $2.95 and bought 8,545 December 55 calls for $1.60.
Calls lock in the price where the stock can be purchased, letting investors benefit from a rally for just a fraction of the cost of the shares. These options can also generate significant leverage, which is exactly what occurred as those November calls more than doubled in less than a week. Tuesday's roll keeps the investor in the trade for another month, so he or she is definitely looking for more gains.
Tesoro rose 1.16% to $49.52 Tuesday and has been running along with peers such as Valero Energy and HollyFrontier. Option activity has been leading the move and accelerated throughout October.
More than 30,000 contracts traded in the Tesoro, compared with fewer than 13,000 in a typical session. More than 27,000 of those were calls versus less than 2,700 puts.
Najarian owns TSO calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV