Time to Order Your Own Submarine -- If You've Got a Big Enough Yacht
SAN DIEGO ( TheStreet) -- When pondering the lifestyle and toys of the rich and famous, certain standard images come to mind.
Private jets. Expensive sports cars. Fabulous homes. Luxurious yachts. To name a few.
Now, there's one more toy for the ultra rich that is quickly becoming a must-have: personal submarines.It's enough of a trend that at the Monaco Yacht Show in late September there were four personal submarine makers on hand. Triton Submarines, based in Vero Beach, Fla., was one of the manufacturers in attendance. The company has seen a marked increase in sales of its pricey submarines in the past year, and sales are on track to double over the next 12 months, says Marc Deppe, Triton's vice-president of sales and marketing. He attributes the sudden increase in demand to a convergence of improved technology and increasingly bigger yachts being manufactured. "Yacht sizes have been increasing to the point where they can carry a submersible, and technology is advancing to point where it was practical and affordable to have one," Deppe says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV