The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. -- Mark Twain
NEW YORK ( FMD Capital Management) -- It wasn't more than six weeks ago when economists and market forecasters were bemoaning rising interest rates and categorically shunning bonds of all shapes and sizes.
Investors were shaken with the fear that the "great rotation" out of bonds and into stocks was finally starting to materialize after a nearly 30-year bull market in fixed-income.
From May through September of this year we saw the 10-year Treasury yield spike from a low of 1.65% to a high of 3.00%. That is easily the biggest move we have seen in interest rates since the mid-1990s and it sent investors fleeing from their beloved fixed-income ETFs and mutual funds. Long-duration Treasuries were the hardest hit during this time frame, as the iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond ETF (TLT) fell more than 17% from high to low.
However, the Federal Reserve opted not to taper its asset purchase programs during its September meeting, which sent interest rate-sensitive securities soaring. Since that announcement, we have seen a modest rally in fixed-income that is looking like it might continue through the balance of the year.Tuesday's job's report solidified the notion the economy is not adding a stellar number of new positions, and most Fed watchers agree that this will push a taper decision to 2014. Labor metrics are one of the key indicators that the Fed is using to determine their exit strategy from the $85 billion per month of treasury and mortgage bond stimulus. The forecast for continued quantitative easing in addition to a weak job market have combined to push several of the largest fixed-income ETFs on my watch list back above their 200-day moving averages today.
iShares Aggregate Bond Fund
iShares Investment Grade Bond Fund
Pimco Total Return Fund
Vanguard Total Bond Market
iShares MBS Bond ETF
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV