GREENVILLE, S.C., Oct. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- To coincide with Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM), Verizon has issued seven grants to South Carolina domestic violence agencies to assist them in the vital work they do each day. The grants, which total $75,000, stem from the Verizon Foundation's initiative to invest in organizations that provide domestic violence education, prevention, victim relief and empowerment resources.
The grants assist victims of abuse by funding shelters, healthcare resources and educational services. One recipient agency is Columbia-based Sistercare i, which will use its $10,000 Verizon grant to fund mental health counseling for domestic violence victims.
"Domestic violence can be associated with a higher likelihood of mental health disorders in survivors," said Nancy Barton, Executive Director of Sistercare, citing a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association ii. "We strive each day to give these survivors the support they need so they have the best shot at securing a healthy future."
The University of South Carolina Educational Foundation's College of Social Work iii received $15,000 from the Verizon Foundation to promote healthy relationships in order to prevent dating violence at Irmo High School near Columbia."I am pleased that the Verizon Foundation is supporting our work with high school students and administrators to engage youth as leaders and advocates to promote healthy teen relationships," said Dr. Pippin Whitaker, assistant professor at the College of Social Work. In addition to Sistercare and the College of Social Work, the following agencies also received Verizon Foundation grants:
- MARYS House iv, Easley
- My Sister's House v, Charleston
- Family Justice Center of Georgetown County vi
- Columbia College Police Department vii
- Citizens Opposed to Domestic Violence viii, Beaufort
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV