[video] Quick Take: Rocky Jobs Report Fuels Gold
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Gold got a nice a pop Tuesday morning after the delayed nonfarm payrolls report for the month of September came in weaker than expected.
Paul Sacks, principal gold trader at Aurum Options Strategies, told TheStreet's Joe Deaux the move seems to be a bit of an overreaction because there seems to be too much emphasis on the report and what it means for tapering.
He added that many market participants now expect the Federal Reserve not to taper its asset purchases until next March or June.
Sacks suggested a "perfect storm" was in place leading into this morning's news release: A poor labor report result and a lot of short-sellers in gold. The poor data report gave gold the pop that it needed and forced shorts to cover their positions, adding to the buying pressure.He said gold has solid support at $1,250 due to strong physical demand at those levels. Previously, this support was at $1,180 and $1,200, so it's a bullish sign that it's moving up. He concluded that it makes sense to get long gold, with potential stop-loss targets at $1,250 and $1,200, if they fail to hold as support. However, Sacks did caution investors there will be headwinds and, eventually, tapering by the Fed. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV