REITs Should Be on Your List
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The real estate investment trust sector has had a rough and volatile year, and TheStreet's Brad Thomas was with Keven Lindermann, director at SNL Financial, to discuss it.
The potential for rising interest rates has weighed heavily on the REIT sector, Lindermann said.
He added that with rates being so low, there's only one direction they can go when it finally comes time for them to move: Up.
That presents a problem for REITs, which are only up 4% in 2013, compared with the S&P 500's 22% rally.Lindermann said that higher interest rates will make doing business more expensive and make other fixed-income assets look more attractive. However, while the threat of rising rates remains, he suggested that REITs are in the normal range of being fairly valued, with broad-based REITs trading at a 7% discount to net asset value (NAV). More specifically, Lindermann said the health care and self-storage REIT sectors are trading near an 18% premium, while the regional mall and multi-family sectors are trading near a 15% discount. He concluded that the broader REIT sector is near fair valuation, and those that are deeply discounted such as regional malls and multi-family sectors might start to see more interest from investors. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV