Oct. 22, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- It's officially lobster season, and specialty sporting goods retailer,
, has everything you need to dive in and make a catch. Diving for lobsters may not be a common pastime for most, but with a few tips and the right gear anyone can jump in, have fun and enjoy fresh lobster.
"The Experts at Sport Chalet are ready to help equip divers with the right gear and expert advice, so they can start filling up their lobster report cards with catches," said Sport Chalet Expert Seton Kidd. "It's important to carry the correct gear to ensure that divers are being safe and following all state rules and regulations."
Sport Chalet has compiled a list of lobster diving necessities to have before diving in:
- All lobster divers must carry a spiny lobster report card that can be purchased from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW). At the end of the season, report cards must be returned to the CDFW and the data is used to manage wildlife populations.
- Everyone must carry a gauge like the Trident Metal Abalone/Lobster/Clam when diving to ensure that the lobsters are large enough to keep. Be sure to check up-to-date measurements provided by the CDFW.
- A game bag is a necessity for holding captured lobsters while stilling diving. The Sieden Sports Lobster Game Bag is great because its secure closure won't allow the lobsters to escape.
- It's important to carry a dive light and the Princeton Tec Torrent LED Underwater Flashlight is a small and powerful tool.
- Always make sure a valid sport fishing license is on hand when doing any kind of recreational fishing or diving.
Kidd also has a few tips for first-time lobster divers:
- Hundreds of locations south of Santa Barbara are now open for lobster diving. Any area with rocky structure and kelp can hold lobsters, from as shallow as a few feet to more than 100 feet deep.
- When grabbing a lobster, try to pin it down on the bottom rather than trying to 'grab' it.
- Try diving at night, when the lobsters are most active. It is possible to catch lobsters during the day but night dives are usually more productive and fruitful.
- Check out the CDFW's new spiny lobster brochure, to ensure all rules and regulations are being followed.
For more information on Sport Chalet's selection of lobster diving gear, or to find a nearby Sport Chalet location, visit
. For additional media inquiries, contact
About Sport Chalet
Sport Chalet (Nasdaq: SPCHA, SPCHB) is a premier, full service specialty sporting goods retailer featuring the industry's top sports brands in apparel, footwear, and sports equipment. Founded in 1959 by
, the company has 52 stores in
; an online store at
; a Team Sales division; and offers more than 50 specialty services for the sports enthusiast, including online same day delivery, climbing, backcountry skiing, ski mountaineering, avalanche education, and mountain trekking instruction, car rack installation, snowboard and ski rental and repair, Scuba training and certification, Scuba boat charters, team sales, gait analysis, baseball/softball glove steaming and lacing, racquet stringing, and bicycle tune-up and repair at its store locations. For more information, visit Sport Chalet at
SOURCE Sport Chalet