While revenue from on-premise software, the old enterprise space, fell 5% from the prior year, the company said its cloud subscription and support revenues rose 146%, year over year, to $269 million. The company said in its earnings call that 30% of its revenue in the Americas now comes from cloud.
Total operating profits were up just 5% year-over-year, to $1.8 billion, but that masked both the successful transition and the strong Euro. It was also in sharp contrast to the latest quarterly number from Oracle and IBM, both of which disappointed the street.
McDermott had been talking up HANA and the possibility of new earnings momentum since the summer, but it still seems to have caught traders by surprise. Over the last three months the stock had twice fallen into the $71/share range, and only began its decisive move up to today's $78/share price last week. Over the last month SAP shares are up almost 6% in price, while Oracle is down 3% and IBM is down almost 8%.
If the whip hand in enterprise computing has moved to SAP there's an irony in it. The world's first commercial computer, ENIAC, was developed at the University of Pennsylvania, a little over 12 miles from SAP's U.S. offices.At the time of publication, the author owned 117 shares of IBM. Follow @danafblankenhor This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV