UPS service provider Tom Camp has achieved what no other UPS driver ever has — 51 years behind the wheel without an accident.
The 73 year-old Camp, who began his career with UPS in 1962 delivering in suburban Detroit, credits his training and a healthy dose of caution for his remarkable record. “You need to assume other drivers are not as aware as you are,” said Camp. “If you assume the other guy is daydreaming, that’s a good first step.”
A U.S. Marine Corps veteran, Camp began delivering when roads were less congested and drivers less distracted. Traffic has doubled since I started with Big Brown,” says Camp. “I can’t count how many times I’ve seen folks do crazy things behind the wheel - reading the paper or doing their make-up. Cell phones are a part of it, too, but it’s more than just that.” According to the Department of Transportation, in 2011, 387,000 people were injured and 3,331 were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver.
“Tom’s accomplishment is remarkable and serves as an inspiration to all UPSers,” said John McDevitt, UPS senior vice president of human resources and labor relations. “On behalf of UPS, I thank Tom for taking such good care of our customers and others on the road.” In recognition of his achievement, Camp was honored by the company and his local co-workers in a ceremony in Livonia.“Tom Camp’s 50-plus years of safe driving at UPS is an astonishing feat, and a testament to the impact of driver education programs,” says Bill Graves, President and CEO of American Trucking Associations. “Smart decision making on the road reduces the rate of accidents and keeps both pedestrians and other drivers safe. We should all emulate Tom’s recognition of safe driving principles, which start with being aware, cognizant and focused at all times behind the wheel.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV