NEW YORK (TheStreet)-- Markets broke fresh highs on Tuesday after a weak jobs report fueled speculation the Federal Reserve will maintain the monetary stimulus measures that have helped boost equities to their biggest gains in 16 years.
The Standard & Poor's 500 Index gained 0.57% to 1,754.67, extending its 2013 advance to 23%, the biggest gain to start a year since 1997. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.49% to 15,467.66 while the Nasdaq gained 0.24% to 3,929.57.
The September non-farm payroll report showed 146,000 jobs were added in September, below expectations of 180,000 while the unemployment rate edged down to 7.2% from 7.3%.
"We see this job report as leaving policymakers unsatisfied with the pace of improvement and reducing the likelihood the Fed tapers asset purchases in the near future. We now expect Fed tapering in March 2014," Barclays director of US Economic Research and Global Asset Allocation Michael Gapen said in a research note.
Netflix (NFLX) shares were the worst performer on the S&P 500 after rising as much as 9.6% in earlier trading. The video company's earnings for the quarter ended Sept. 30 quadrupled as the service topped 40 million subscribers. Its shares are up around 271% in 2013. Netflix CEO Reed Hastings told analysts on a post-earnings conference call that "momentum investors" were "driving the price more than we like normally."
Apple (AAPL) at an event on Tuesday in San Francisco unveiled its newest iPad, called the iPad Air, which weighs 1 pound and starts at $499. The Cupertino, Calif.-based company also unveiled a new iPad mini for $399, which now boasts Apple's high-definition Retina display. Shares fell intraday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV