Ciena ® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that Cablevision Argentina, one of the largest Cable TV and Internet service providers in Argentina, is deploying Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform to upgrade its inter-urban broadband backbone across Argentina. The network enhancements will enable Cablevision Argentina to provide high-speed Internet service, expanded cable offerings and uncompressed HD video transport to its growing subscriber base.
- Cablevision Argentina is deploying the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, a critical component of Ciena’s OPn architecture, to upgrade its network to a ROADM-based 100G agile optical foundation. The deployment will provide the flexibility needed to re-route wavelengths across the network, reduce latency and help the provider efficiently connect regional nodes across long distances. This network upgrade involves 30 nodes across Cablevision Argentina’s footprint, upgrading connections from Buenos Aires to other regional centers.
- Ciena’s 6500 will deliver Cablevision Argentina immediate bandwidth gains, ensuring that it has the capacity to quickly and reliably deliver a mix of new and existing services and protocols—including OTN, SDH and Ethernet—at speeds of 1G to 10G, 100G, and beyond. This upgrade is adding new capacity over existing infrastructure, ensuring that Cablevision Argentina can maximize the value of its assets.
- Cablevision Argentina will also benefit from new packet networking capabilities on the 6500, which will give the option to integrate packet switching and traffic management alongside OTN transport to cost-effectively address surging demand for Ethernet services and connectivity. Designed for easy customization, the packet networking functions on the 6500 will also give Cablevision Argentina the ability to dial packet services up or down depending on customer demand.
- Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System will provide point-and-click service provisioning for faster service turn-up and end-to-end visibility to ensure that Cablevision Argentina can effectively meet all end-customer service level agreements (SLAs). The advanced management software also improves troubleshooting in the event of a network outage or alarm.
- A team of in-region experts from Ciena is supporting this upgrade from start to finish. Ciena offers a full range of professional services via its Ciena Specialist Services portfolio, including network management, migration and maintenance.
- “Ciena’s solution gives us the flexibility to gradually scale our network and expand capacity across a huge geography. This will allow us to offer high-speed Internet, cable and business services to our growing customer base. Moving forward, Ciena’s 6500 will help us reduce the complexity of transporting and managing our optical infrastructure.” - Guillermo Fiorenza, head of transport network architecture at Cablevision Argentina
- “Our packet optical portfolio allows carriers like Cablevision Argentina to not only scale networks gradually to meet subscriber demands, but also to address the growing demand for Ethernet services and connectivity with integrated packet switching capabilities. Building on our long-standing relationship with Cablevision Argentina, we look forward to supporting this next phase of their network modernization efforts and making them even more competitive in the marketplace.” - Fabio Medina, vice president of sales and general manager, Latin America at Ciena
- OPn is Ciena’s approach for building open, programmable next-generation networks that scale and automatically adapt to satisfy subscriber’s demands for high-bandwidth services like HD video, cloud computing and mobile broadband.
- Ciena is the pioneer and market leader of coherent optical technology with 27,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces shipped to over 150 customers across the globe, with more than 25 million coherent kilometers deployed.
- Ciena is showcasing its converged packet optical and packet networking portfolios at Futurecom (booth B 14) October 21-24 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Steve Alexander, senior vice president and CTO is speaking the panel: “Technology Trends Driving the Future of Society” on Tuesday, October 22 at 2:40 pm. John Hawkins, advisor, product & technology marketing and Patricia Vello, senior sales director will participate in the breakout session: “Network Service Opportunities in the New Cloud World” on October 23 at 2:40 pm.
- Product Overview: Ciena 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Product Overview: OneControl Unified Management System
- Chalk Talk Video: WaveLogic 3
- Application Note: Enabling a Bigger and Smarter Network with WaveLogic 3