ROCKY MOUNT, N.C., Oct. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- QVC, Inc. (NASDAQ: LINTA, LINTB), the global leader in video and eCommerce retail, announced today the completion of a solar farm comprising 11,564 panels on 11 acres at the Rocky Mount Distribution Center owned by QVC Rocky Mount, Inc.
Now generating 5.8 million kilowatt-hours per year, this latest addition brings the combined total number of panels at the site to 17,244 over 18 acres. The first field of 5,680 solar panels on seven acres of land was completed in November 2008.
"QVC will conserve enough kilowatt-hours of energy to reduce CO 2 emissions that are equivalent to 458,766 gallons of gasoline," said Bill Stanulis, QVC Rocky Mount Distribution Center General Manager (source: US EPA Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies). "As one of the largest employers in Edgecombe County, we are committed to conserving energy by implementing sustainable solutions and reducing waste."
Other QVC sustainability initiatives at the site include:
- A recycling program that salvages 4,000,000 pounds of corrugate and 100,000 pounds of plastic recycling per year
- Warehouse lighting using energy-efficient T5 fluorescent fixtures and motion lighting sensors
- High efficiency HVAC units and LED lighting installed in all dock lights.
- A "white roof" which reduces cooling costs
- A community garden created for employees to grow fresh vegetables for local food banks
- Sheep on the premises that have reduced the need for gas-powered lawn mowers
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts