Among the many highlights of the new structure is the “Spectrum Brands Institute of Design & Technology,” with state-of-the-art labs and equipment and 20 percent more space than the prior facility devoted to research, innovation and new product development for the Company’s global battery, personal care and home appliances businesses.
The Company, which changed its corporate name to Spectrum Brands from Rayovac in 2005, moved into the newly built Rayovac Drive facility in 1985 as its new headquarters, adjacent to its existing battery technology center constructed in 1965. In addition to serving as Spectrum Brands’ world headquarters for all but six of those years since 1985, the Rayovac Drive complex has housed the North American Rayovac battery operations and, following its acquisition in 2003, the North American Remington personal care operations.
“Since our origins, more than 100 years ago, as a battery manufacturer on Madison’s east side, our Company has played a significant role as a major employer in Dane County and other parts of Wisconsin,” said Mr. Lumley. “We are pleased about our move to Middleton, as well as our ability to retain our world headquarters, and North American appliances operations and R&D functions in the greater Madison area of Wisconsin, and continue our long history of investment in our state, which includes capital spending of approximately $40 million over the next five years.”
In addition to its world headquarters in Middleton, Spectrum Brands maintains Wisconsin battery manufacturing plants in Fennimore, with 300 employees, and Portage, with 200 employees, along with a returns center in DeForest.The developer for Spectrum Brands’ new world headquarters was Livesey Company, a family-owned, commercial real estate development company based in Middleton. The new world headquarters project was supported by the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation, which provided financial support. FACT SHEET October 2013 Spectrum Brands Annual Wisconsin Economic Impact – Nearly $100 Million
- Wisconsin Full-Time Employees – 1,050
- Estimated Additional Full-Time Employees by 2014 – 25
- Current Annual Wisconsin Payroll – $72 million (up to $74 million with new hires)
- Annual Wisconsin State Individual Income Withholdings – $6.5 million
- Annual Premiums Paid to Wisconsin Health Care Insurers – $6 million
- Annual Wisconsin Capital Spending – $8-10 million
- Annual Wisconsin Property Taxes Paid – Nearly $700,000
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts